When it comes to built-in ice makers, the EdgeStar IB120SS is a great option. This unit has pleased numerous customers for years by eliminating the need to continuously refill ice trays at home or go buy ice when it is needed. Here, I will provide an unbiased review of the EdgeStar IB120SS ice maker so you can decide whether or not it is the right match for you.
The EdgeStar IB120SS is a 12 Lb built-in ice maker. This model offers a refrigerated storage bin that works to ensure ice within the machine lasts longer. This unit has the ability to operate without a permanent drain line and can produce up to 12 Lbs of ice each day. This unit is small, at only 25-inches tall, and fits under most counters.
The stylish stainless steel door and black body provide an expensive look at a fraction of the cost. Additionally, the EdgeStar IB120SS does not require extensive professional installation and it meets ADA height requirements.
This unit is extremely reliable for keeping ice frozen. There is no need for a drain line because the ice always stays frozen as long as the unit is powered on.
- Color: Stainless steel and black
- Model: IB120SS
- Front venting
- Ice maker automatically shuts off when ice bin is full
- ADA Height Compliant
- Ice scoop included
- Water In Line to provide con
- Door can reverse for a left or right-hand swing
- Comes with a 90 days labor / one-year parts warranty
- Can produce up to 12 Lbs of ice daily
- Can store up to 6 Lbs of ice in the bin
- Weight: 54 Lbs
- Size: 25 1/2-inch height x 15-inch wide x 18 1/2-inches deep
- Requires manual defrost
- On/Off Switch
- Can be built-in or freestanding
- Requires 440W / 115V / 3.7A hookup
How to Use
It is recommended to have this item professionally installed. The EdgeStar IB120SS requires a waterline to be installed in order to provide a continuous water supply. This installation is not too difficult and should be relatively inexpensive. Once the water line is run, switch the unit to ON. The ice maker will automatically fill with water from the water line and fill the trays. The machine will begin making ice.
Once the ice maker tray is full, it will fall down into the bin and refill for the next batch of ice cubes. This process will continue until the maximum storage capacity is reached. Once the 6 LB weight limit is reached, the machine will stop bringing water in until the machine is no longer at the “full” capacity.
Pros and Cons
There are some positive and negative factors the EdgeStar IB120SS presents. Some of these are listed below.
- Has a water in line, which eliminates the need of refilling a water reservoir
- Can be built-in or stand alone
- Stylish and luxurious finish
- Water line included up to 25-feet
- Ice scoop included
- Holds large capacity of ice in the bin
- Ice does not melt while stored in the bin
- Ice maker automatically shuts off once full level is reached
- Inexpensive option
- Door can be reversed to fit either left or right-hand opening preference
- Large storage capacity when compared to other models
- Professional installation is recommended
- Cannot be run away from water line
- Not a good option for outdoor use
- Only comes in one color combination
- Large size is not suitable for countertops
- Manual defrost
- Slow production rate
- Low daily output at only 12 LBs
- Not a reliable option for parties or outdoor events
What Other Users Say About the Product
One user who purchased this item said the EdgeStar IB120 was exactly what they expected. This individual was particularly pleased with the ice makers appearance. This individual said the ice maker is extremely classy looking and works as expected — very well.
Another customer found that this ice maker works exactly as they expected. They are very pleased with the output. This individual says the ice maker does the job they need. The EdgeStar IB120SS produces the perfect amount of ice to keep up with their family’s demand. This individual feels the ice maker is a great find for the price. They are particularly pleased that the ice maker does not need a drain. Although this ice maker works perfectly for them, they do make it a point that the ice maker is quite loud. It runs all day long, so it produces a sound typical to a stand-up refrigerator. Additionally, the ice makes a thumping noise when it drops into the tray.
Another EdgeStar IB120SS customer reports that this item works well for them. This particular owner chose to opt out of using the plastic tubing and choose to run copper tubing instead. This individual reports that they do not hear any loud noises from the compressor when it is running. Additionally, they added a kit with an external single stage water filter to ensure the water is clean before entering the ice maker. This individual recommends ensuring the floor or surface the ice maker is placed on is completely level in order to avoid noisy vibration.
Overall, the EdgeStar IB120SS is a great find for the price. The ice maker works well and produces tons of ice that you do not have to worry about removing. The 6 Lb bin capacity is perfect for meeting the ice demands of many families and the automatic on/off switch ensures no spills, floods, or shortages of ice occur. The downside of this ice maker is that it does require a manual defrost, which should be done at least once a month. This can be troublesome for individuals, especially elderly homeowners or individuals with small children. Other than having to defrost the ice maker manually, this item is an exceptional find for the price.