This Emerson IM90 review addresses all the features of the portable ice maker, as well as the pros and cons according to online reviews from verified customers. Its affordability factor will also be discussed in relation to its ability to produce good tasting frozen water. We’ve done thorough research to answer your questions in detail regarding size, ice productivity, durability, sound, usability, warranty, and safety.
Emerson IM90 Ice Maker Description
Our Emerson IM90 review verified that this device is safe to use indoors and outdoors since it has passed Federal Food Law 2009 part 602.11, which requires the machines to function at a specified frequency. Like most ice makers, it has a three-prong plug and can be connected to the standard United States power specification, in 110-120V outlets. White and square, the Emerson IM90 fits well in apartments and condominiums. Similar in size to a small dishwasher or washing machine, it is practical and doesn’t need to be connected to any water line. Water is manually poured into a detachable container. At 27 pounds, it takes ten minutes to create 2.2 pounds of ice or about a medium-size zip-lock bag, which is enough for three to four people.
The ice comes in three sizes. Called bullet ice, the shape is similar to regular ice cubes but thinner. You do not have to clean the ice maker after every use. Depending on how many times you use it, you can clean the machine twice a year or annually by removing the basket and following the easy instructions in the user manual. There is a 90-day product warranty.
Emerson IM90 Specs
- Dimensions: 14.9 x 11.7 x 14.4 inches
- Weight: 27 pounds
- Voltage: 115V 60Hz 130W
- Watts: Not available
- Amps: Not available
- Frequency: 115V / 60Hz 1Ph
- Certifications: None
- Daily Ice Making Capacity: 2.2 lbs. per cycle
- Ice Shape: Bullet
- Installation: Freestanding
- Energy Star Rated: No
- Refrigerant Type: High compression
- Operating Cycle: 10 minutes
- Ice Making Capacity Per Cycle: 9 pieces
- Display Type: Precise electronic control with display
- Full Ice Basket Indicator: Yes
- Add Water Indicator: Yes
- Drain Type: Detachable plug
- Number of Ice Sizes: 3
- Timer: Yes
- Self-Cleaning Function: No
- Automatic Overflow Protection: Yes
- Ice Storage: 2.2 pounds
- Removable Ice Bin: Yes
- Reversible Door: No
- Water Capacity: 3.2 liters
Operating the Emerson IM90 Portable Ice Maker
Having a portable ice maker saves time, effort and awkward moments. Aside from being practical, the Emerson IM90 is extremely beneficial, especially if you have a family or if you like having get-togethers and parties at home or outdoors. Since it’s small and lightweight, the Emerson IM90 is convenient to bring to your holiday trips, no matter how long those trips are. If you have an RV, the ice maker is a must. However, this Emerson IM90 review wouldn’t be complete without also going through its pros and cons according to online reviews from verified customers.
Emerson IM90 Portable Ice Maker Pros and Cons
- It is easy to clean and keep it that way, as bacteria do not grow and spread as fast.
- A detachable ice basket is built into the machine.
- There is a precise and automatic timer that relieves the user of having to turn the machine on or off.
- It has a fast ice making capability at ten minutes per cycle.
- There are three ice cube size options, unlike store-bought ice that needs to be broken apart. The user can set the ice cube size according to preference.
- The machine utilizes noiseless technology.
- An ice scoop is included in the packaging, which other brands do not provide.
- The ice maker is available only in white, which makes stains easily visible.
- The shape and color are not sleek or high-tech in design; the machine does not look appropriate for expensive and sophisticated circles and corporate gathering.
- There is no Star Energy efficiency rating.
- There is no sound that goes with the timer to allow the user to know when the ice is ready.
- The warranty only lasts for 90 days.
What Users Say about the Emerson IM90
The Emerson IM90 reviews are a mixture of happy and unhappy appraisals from the users. About 32% of the verified customers rated this product at five stars, 9% gave four stars, 11% gave three stars, 11% gave two-stars, and 37% gave one star at the moment of writing. For example, a verified purchaser under the nickname smiles wrote that the appliance produces very little noise, which he likes. On the other hand, another consumer wrote that it was noisy.
The positive reviews of the Emerson IM90 raved about how fast and easy it is to make a lot of ice in a short period of time. Some brands actually take longer. The ice stays frozen for a long time in the drinking glass. It doesn’t detract or add to the taste of the drink and it’s simple to clean and drain. All you have to do is unplug it from the drain plug and water will flow out accordingly. One satisfied reviewer nicknamed Carol W ’45 likes to bring the ice maker every time his family goes camping.
Those who submitted a negative Emerson IM90 review, however, described how the machine broke after a few months of purchase. Several people wrote about this problem, which makes it a serious issue for every person who is thinking of buying the brand. The short warranty period (90 days) does not speak highly of the quality of the product.
Although not the best-rated in its price range, the Emerson M93B ice maker seems a more reliable choice.
Taking the comments of people who wrote in the Emerson IM90 review in consideration, I would consider buying this product only after doing research on other products first. For one thing, the Emerson IM90 is affordable. The people who raved about it loved it. While there are many complaints about the product, there are also complaints about other ice maker brands. The people who were not happy with the product did not mention the frequency of use. Nevertheless, one thing’s clear: the product is not made for heavy duty commercial use, ice makers like that are very expensive. If you have any experience with the Emerson IM90, please feel free to share and write your thoughts.