The Hamilton Beach Portable Ice Maker is perfect for backyard parties, tailgating events, or use in a home or office bar or kitchen where an electricity source is available. This appliance is easy to transport and takes up very little room. It has a high-efficiency compressor for, long life and relatively quiet operation. The unit is available in 2 finishes and color options. In this article, we will take a look at the product specifications, price, warranty, and what users have to say about this ice maker.
Hamilton Beach Portable Ice Maker Description
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Portable-Maker-Black/dp/B01FQR5QLO/?tag=icemakerpro08-20″ target=”blank” style=”stroked” background=”#ee2022″ size=”9″ center=”yes” radius=”10″ icon=”icon: font” rel=”nofollow”]Purchase on Amazon[/su_button]
Note: The Hamilton Beach PIM-1-2A ice maker is currently unavailable. If you’re not willing to wait until it gets back in stock, do take a look at our reviews of other great portable ice makers.
This ice maker is capable of producing up to 28 pounds of ice in a day, making 9 cubes every 6 to 8 minutes. The water reservoir holds 2.5 liters which will produce 2 pounds of ice cubes before needing to be refilled. The unit is wired to run on 110 volts of electric power. Operating is made simple by using touch buttons. It also has a self-cleaning feature.
The Hamilton Beach has three LED light displays and graphic images that let you know when the ice storage basket is full, when you need to add water, and when the machine is making ice. The plastic components are BPA-free. Depending on which model you purchase, the overall dimensions are approximately 15 x 11 x 14 inches (L x W x H) and weighs approximately 24 pounds, making it compact enough for travel.
The product includes an interior 2-pound capacity ice storage bucket. It also comes with a plastic ice scoop. It is available in either stainless steel and black finish or candy apple red. The Hamilton Beach is UL approved and ETL, CSA, CE certified. There is a limited 1 year warranty included.
Hamilton Beach Portable Ice Maker Specifications
- Makes up to 28 pounds of ice per day, 9 cubes every 6 to 8 minutes
- Ice storage capacity 2 pounds
- Water reservoir capacity 2.5 liters
- Quiet, long lasting, high-efficiency compressor
- Push-button control
- LED lights indicate when basket is full, when to add water, and when machine is making ice
- Steel and BPA-free plastic construction
- Measures Approximately 15″L x 11″W x 14″H
- Weighs approximately 24 pounds
- Self-cleaning feature
- Ice storage bucket and scoop included
- Wipes clean
- Plugs into standard 120 V electrical outlet
- UL approved & ETL, CSA, CE Certified
- 1 year limited warranty
Operating the Hamilton Beach Portable Ice Maker
This portable ice maker can be used indoors or outdoors, as long as you have an appropriate power source available. You simply fill the reservoir with water, plug it in, and push the button to start making ice. It isn’t a freezer storage unit, so you might consider making ice and storing it in your kitchen freezer or an ice chest so that you can immediately make a new bucket of ice to have plenty on hand. This is perfect for keeping drinks cool during outdoor warm weather events.
Hamilton Beach Portable Ice Maker Pros and Cons
- High efficiency, long lasting, quiet compressor
- Self-cleaning function is a plus
- Energy efficient by not requiring a lot of power
- Makes 2 pounds of ice every hour or less
- BPA-free plastic
- Metal components are rust resistant
- Compact for easy transport
- LED lights and easy to understand graphic display
- Uses 110v power – plugs into standard wall outlet
- Easy push button operation
- Removable ice bucket
- Comes with an ice scoop
- 1 year limited warranty
- Not ideal for events or households with larger demands for ice
- Ice cubes are smaller than most refrigerator ice makers
- Only makes one size of cube
- Storage area does not prevent the ice from melting
- The power button is a bit clumsy when trying to run the self-cleaning option
- A little more expensive than some comparable models at approximately $159 MSRP
- Not able to find any significant product information on the manufacturer’s website
What Users Say
A reviewer on Amazon had bought the ice maker as a gift for friends. They hosted a party and used the ice maker all night. It was easy to setup. As the bucket filled, they took the extra ice and stored it in the freezer.
Another review claims that the Hamilton Beach in not as noisy as she was led to believe. It makes ice pretty fast and it is easy to operate. The only issue she has is that you have to collect the ice right away because this product does not keep the ice from melting. She was aware of this prior to purchasing, but thought it was still a good option for the price.
One of the less positive reviews stated that the buyer was disappointed that the unit was not able to make different sizes of cubes and felt that it was a little overpriced for that reason.
The Hamilton Beach Portable Ice Maker seems to hit all the marks for what it professes to do. It makes a decent amount of ice in a short amount of time. The compressor is quiet. The body and removable parts are made of good quality materials. This isn’t the workhorse you might need for a big event. However, you could compensate for that by making ice in advance for storing in a cooler or freezer.
Please feel free to share your experiences with the Hamilton Beach Portable Ice Maker. We love to get feedback, an d we are happy to answer any questions.