There's nothing more refreshing than a cold drink on a warm day. Who doesn't enjoy an iced tea or adult beverage in the sun? It's no longer necessary to deal with the hassle and mess of sloppy ice cube trays filling up the freezer in order to have a steady supply of ice cubes. There are many portable home ice makers on the market to provide you with ice all day (and all night) long. So whether you're looking for a home ice maker for camping, picnicking, or tailgating, we've put together a selection of the top 10 home ice makers on the market to take the guesswork out of your purchase.
1. What Is A Home Ice Maker?
A home ice maker is a compact, portable device used to make a continuous supply of ice cubes outside a freezer.
2. How Does A Home Ice Maker Work?
Home ice makers work by filling a reservoir with water, which is dispensed into a freezing tray. Once the ice is frozen it is deposited into an insulated storage basket. As the ice melts the water is recycled and re-frozen into fresh ice.
3. Where Can You Buy Home Ice Makers?
We have provided links to purchase the home ice makers reviewed in this article.
4. What Types Of Ice Can A Home Ice Maker Produce?
The home ice makers in this article produce both "bullet" ice and "Sonic" ice.
How We Reviewed
The following products were reviewed based on the following parameters Features, Pros & Cons, Price, and Where to Buy
Overall Price Range Of This Product (And Similar Products)
The price of home ice makers varies widely. The home ice makers in this article range from $110 to $550. The home ice makers that produce crunchy ice nuggets (as opposed to cubes) are significantly more expensive.
What We Reviewed
- FAST FREEZE: Fill with water, hit start, and watch through the clear lid as this powerful yet quiet machine churns out...
- LARGE CAPACITY: Boasts a 3 quart water tank, and can produce 26 lbs of fresh, crispy ice a day
- DIGITAL DISPLAY: Loaded with convenient features like S/M/L cube size selection, refill alarm, clock, auto start/stop,...
This ice maker will make up to two pounds of ice in as little as 15 minutes. It uses the same technology as commercial ice makers. It includes three cube size selections, a three quart water tank with refill alarm, auto start/stop, clock and timer, clear LCD display, scoop, and removable bucket. The insulated interior will keep over two pounds of ice fresh. The unit will yield up to 26 pounds of ice a day. It is portable and compact so you can use it on a boat, in an RV, or just about anywhere.
- Includes 1-Year Manufacturer's Warranty / Make Pounds of Ice in Minutes - Approx. 27 lbs. per 24-Hour Cycle
- Touch Control Panel with Backlit Display
- 3 Different Ice Cube Sizes - Melted Ice Gets Re-Made Automatically
This ice maker holds 3 1/3 gallons of water and makes 27 pounds of ice in 24 hours. The removable tray holds 2 1/2 pounds of ice. It can easily be transferred to a freezer or an ice bucket. Melted ice is collected and refrozen to eliminate waste and conserve water. The backlit control panel allows you to select ice cube size, program the timer, and check water and ice levels.
- Perfect for your RV, boat, or small kitchen, this ice maker is compact, bars, restaurants, portable and works anywhere...
- See through window allow for process monitoring & ice level checking
- Easy push touch buttons with Icons for digital control; Yield Up To 26 Pounds of Ice Daily
The compact design of this ice maker makes it easy to take along on your camping trip, barbeque, or party. It is easy to use—just plug it in and add water for ice in as little as six minutes. It will make up to 26 pounds of ice in 24 hours. The insulated storage bin will hold two pounds of ice. As the ice melts the water is recirculated and used to make fresh ice. The see-through window allows you to see how much ice is in the bin. The unit will beep when the water level is low or the ice bucket is full. A handy scoop is included.
- Produces ice in under 10 minutes; Use tap water or bottled water
- Makes up to 26 pounds of ice per day; 2 different ice cube sizes
- Storage capacity: 1.5 lbs; Sized perfectly for countertops
This compact portable ice maker can be used just about anywhere you have an electrical outlet. It is able to make up to 26 pounds of ice in 24 hours. It stores up to 1.5 pounds of ice in the insulated storage bin. Although the bin is insulated, it is not a freezer and ice will eventually melt. The melted ice will be recirculated to make new ice, so there is no waste. This ice maker will make small or large bullet ice by selecting the size on the touch sensitive control panel. This ice maker is perfect for the RV, boat, or tailgate party.
- DESIGNED TO MAKE PERFECT ICE, FAST - Our ice maker works quickly, making 9 chewable, delicious, bullet-shaped ice-cubes...
- COMPACT, PORTABLE ICE MACHINE - Good things come in small packages. Measuring at 9.5 x 12 x 13.5 inches, this ice maker...
- INTELLIGENT FEATURES - You do enough thinking; let us help out. Our ice maker prevents overflowing with warning lights...
This ice maker will deliver nine ice cubes in less than 10 minutes, and will produce up to 26 pounds of ice in 24 hours. The compact, portable design makes this the best ice maker for camping trips, tailgate parties, and barbeques. It requires no installation or water hookup, so you can use it anywhere you have an electrical outlet.
The unit has warning lights, and an automatic shut off feature to prevent overflowing and to let you know when the ice basket is full or the unit is low on water. The unit does need to be upright and stationary for 24 hours prior to use to allow the coolant to settle. It features a 2.2 liter water reservoir and a 1.5 pound removable ice bucket. A plastic scoop is also included.
- PORTABLE ICE POWER - This powerful ice maker creates delicious, chewable, bullet shaped ice up to 1.5 lbs at a time and...
- ICE CUBES DONE QUICK - Features small or medium size options for bullet shape ice, ready in just 6 to 8 minutes. The...
- ENERGY EFFICIENT ICE MAKER - Equipped with a compressor that requires low energy to cool, this ice machine is a tiny yet...
This ice maker produces up to 1.5 pounds of ice per batch and up to 26 pounds of ice in 24 hours. It has a 2.2 liter water reservoir and a 1.5 pound storage basket. Its compact size makes it easy to use wherever there's an outlet. Ice is ready in six to eight minutes and is adjustable to small or medium cubes. The compressor is quiet and energy efficient.
The storage basket is insulated, but it is not a freezer, so ice should be stored in the freezer if large quantities are desired. The unit has a water reservoir below the storage basket and it recirculates the melted ice. The unit automatically shuts off when the ice basket is full. Warning lights indicate low water level. The unit features a convenient control panel, a removable ice basket, and a scoop.
- COUNTERTOP SIZE - With it's elegant design, the Opal will wow your guests before they even try the delicious ice it...
- QUICK AND POWERFUL - Within only 20 minutes, you'll be enjoying soft, crunchy ice, just like the ice you love from your...
- SMART - The Opal is bluetooth equipped, so you can set up your ice making schedule from the convenience of your phone...
Unlike other ice makers in this review, this unit makes the chewable, crunchable ice that ice eaters love. It produces the first nuggets in 20 minutes and delivers a pound of ice an hour. The ice basket holds three pounds of ice, and its compact countertop design plugs into any electrical outlet. This model features Bluetooth functionality, allowing you to create your ice making schedule from the convenience of an app. This unit has a sensor the turns the unit on and off based on the fill level of the bucket. As ice melts the unit will automatically turn on to ensure a steady supply of crunchy nuggets.
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested & certified by Igloo to work like-new. The product includes all original...
- Portable Stainless Steel Ice Maker
- Over-sized Ice bucket holds 2.2 lbs of ice
This ice maker features an ice basket that holds 2.2 pounds of ice. The unit will produce ice in as little as six minutes and up to 26 pounds of ice in 24 hours. It's easy to use—just plug it in, fill the reservoir, select your cube size, and in six minutes you'll have fresh ice. The unit has an electronic control panel. It will recirculate melted ice, assuring you'll never run out. It is made of stainless steel for an elegant, modern look. The reservoir holds 0.8 gallons of water, which makes about 6 pounds of ice.
- Convenient, compact design is ideal for use in small kitchens and other compact spaces like RVs, boats and more
- Powerful compressor produces 26 pounds of ice a day so you never have to run to the store for a bag of ice again
- Simple, hassle-free ice dispenser requires no installation - just plug in, add water and wait up to 15 minutes to enjoy...
This ice maker uses environmentally friendly R-134A refrigerant. It produces 9 ice cubes every 6-13 minutes and up to 26 pounds of ice in 24 hours. It has push button controls and a bottom drain, making it easy to empty and clean. The unit plugs into any standard outlet. It has automatic overflow protection. Lights indicate when to add water or remove ice. It includes an ice scoop and a removable bucket. Users can select between small or large ice cube sizes.
- Compact, Convenient and incredibly fast, the Della portable ice maker makes ice cubes in less time than it takes to run...
- Sleek performance design; 3 selectable cube size (small, medium and large)
- Enjoy a batch of ice in as little as 6 minutes
This ice maker works anywhere. It can be plugged into a standard outlet. It requires no installation—just plug it in, add water, and in six minutes enjoy your ice. This unit makes up to 26 pounds of ice every 24 hours. The reservoir will hold 2.3 quarts of water and the storage basket holds 1.5 pounds of ice. The control panel allows you to turn the ice maker on and off and select the size of ice. The see-through window allows you to check the ice level and observe the ice making process. It has alerts for low water level and full ice bucket. The unit also includes an ice scoop for cube removal.
If you're looking for the crunchy "Sonic" type nuggets, the only home ice maker that will deliver is the Opal Nugget Ice Maker. Unfortunately, it's far and away the most expensive unit. If you're not particular about the texture of your ice, consider the hOmeLabs Portable Ice maker. Its compact design and quiet operation will keep you and your drinks chill.
Featured Image: Amazon.com