The Hoshizaki AM-50BAE Ice Machine is a premium model which can churn out high-quality, “gourmet” ice. This is a machine that would be perfectly at home in a luxurious home bar, in a plush office setting, or in the hospitality industry. This in-depth review will help you decide whether this Hoshizaki ice machine is an ideal fit for your unique needs. This review will focus on the capacity, suitability, build quality, dependability, and value for money of the Hoshizaki AM 50BAE ice maker. We will also go through the technical specifications for this machine and its reviews from verified customers.
Hoshizaki AM-50BAE Ice Machine Description
The Hoshizaki is a premium under counter model designed to be housed inside cabinets inside your kitchen or in your poolside bar. There are several models in this Hoshizaki ice machine series with varying dimensions. The ADA certified models are under 34 inches in height. All the machines have slim bodies that do not exceed 14-18 inches in width.
This particular Hoshizaki ice machine model has a daily production capacity of 55 pounds of high-quality ice in 24 hours. Due to the compact dimensions, the on-board storage capacity is limited to just 22 pounds. The ice produced by this unit is quite special. The “gourmet” quality ice is the highest quality ice you can get from a machine. The Hoshizaki version of high-quality crystal clear ice is in the form of a top hat. This type of ice goes superbly well with premium drinks and liqueurs.
The machine is delivered partially installed. This means that while the device itself comes fully assembled, some additional work is required during the installation process. This is entirely related to the plumbing and drainage, and might require some expert assistance.
Hoshizaki AM-50BAE Ice Machine Specs
- Dimensions: 14″ W x 22″ D x 31″ H
- Weight: 115 pounds
- Watts: 16 KWh / 100 pounds
- Voltage: 115 V
- Amps: 3.8 A
- Certifications: NSF, UL Listed, ISO 9001:14001, ADA Compliant
- Daily Ice Making Capacity: 55 pounds
- Ice Shape: Top hat
- Installation: Freestanding
- Energy Star Rated: No
- Refrigerant Type: R-134a
- Display Type: None
- Full Ice Basket Indicator: No
- Add Water Indicator: No
- Drain Type: Rear plug
- Number of Ice Sizes: 1
- Timer: No
- Self-Cleaning Function: No
- Ice Storage: Yes, up to 22 pounds
- Reversible Door: Yes
- Water Pressure: 7-113 psig
Operating The Hoshizaki AM-50BAE Ice Machine
The installation is a bit tricky since Hoshizaki does not come with the required plumbing. You will need the optional drain pump if your drain is not located close to the installation point, or if it is at a higher point than the drainage hole on the machine.
But once properly installed, using the Hoshizaki ice machine is simplicity is itself. Everything is accessible by opening the front panel since the whole thing is designed to work from inside a cabinet. The 22 pounds built-in storage bin is large enough for home use, even during parties. The machine is rated safe for outdoor use, making it an ideal accessory in a patio bar or in an outdoor pool deck.
As already noted, the ice created by this machine deserves special mention. The top hat style ice has superior looks as well as cooling properties. This ice is crystal clear and slow melting, making it ideal for premium drinks like Single Malts and high-end cocktails. So this Hoshizaki ice machine is perfect for smaller luxury hospitality settings like executive suites.
A few models also have the option to install custom doors to the front panel. This helps the machine blend in with the overall décor of the area where it is installed. And thanks to that single door access, maintenance and cleaning are hassle free and quite easy. The power switch is also extremely easy to reach on the outside and doesn’t require removal of any covers or panels. Overall, this ice machine is easy to operate and maintain.
Hoshizaki AM-50BAE Ice Machine – Pros & Cons
- Compact design that easily fits into most under counter cabinets.
- Produces superior quality gourmet ice.
- Produces ice in a very short amount of time.
- Perfect for luxury settings and premium liquors.
- Designed for both indoor and outdoor use.
- A versatile machine ideal for home, office and commercial use.
- Compliant with the provisions of the American Disability Act (ADA).
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Has the option for custom door installation on select models.
- Made by a brand reputed for reliability and its long lasting machines.
- Air cooled design requires lower ambient temperatures for optimal performance.
- Does not have refrigerated storage, the ice will melt over time.
- Installation can be a bit complicated.
- Does not come with a built-in drainage pump, you have to buy one separately.
- Premium product, so the price is automatically on the higher side.
- Not everyone needs “gourmet” quality ice.
- Is not completely silent and does make some amount of noise.
- Not a portable model like the Emerson IM90 ice maker for example.
What Users Say
Michael Z. has highlighted its problem-free functioning over months, with the machine reportedly having zero issues even after a year and a half of regular use. They also praised the lightning fast speed at which the Hoshizaki ice machine produces ice cubes.
Among the cons, the noise seems to the be most commonly raised issue in user reviews. The Hoshizaki makes a constant humming sound that is clearly audible within enclosed spaces, like kitchens. But most people seem to find it to be a minor inconvenience rather than a serious flaw. Derrell K mentioned the machine can get pretty loud, but can be turned off during the night.
The Hoshizaki ice machine brand ranks among the top three among ice maker manufacturers. They are generally known for their dependable and long lasting ice makers. And the user reviews on popular online retail sites do reflect this about the Hoshizaki AM-50BAE.
Recommended read: Before you go, you may want to check out other great undercounter models before making any purchasing decision.
The Hoshizaki is definitely a premium product. This is not your basic $100 ice maker. It is an expensive permanent fixture that adds some class and luxury to your drinking and partying experience. If you have a good collection of premium liquors this is undoubtedly a great addition to your home or hospitality business setting. Hope you found this review useful, please post your thoughts/queries in the comments section below.
Last update on 2021-06-24 at 11:33 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API