When you think about a portable ice maker, like the Igloo ICE103 model, you want it to have important features and performance standards. Not only should it be compact and easy to set up and use, but it should make ice quickly, efficiently and in usable quantities. It should also be fairly easy to maintain as well as covered by a warranty for malfunctions or defects in workmanship, which this particular model is. Igloo’s ICE103 Counter Top Ice Maker has been available in the marketplace since October 2013 so that seems to be sufficient time to know whether it has stood the test of time as a portable ice maker. A detailed igloo portable countertop ice maker review seems to be in order to determine just how this ice maker performs.
Igloo ICE03 Ice Maker Description
- Portable Stainless Steel Ice Maker
- Over-sized Ice bucket holds 2.2 lbs of ice
- Choice of 3 Ice Cube Sizes (small, medium and large)
Describing this ice maker is an integral part of an igloo portable countertop ice maker review and would not be complete without detailing its features. It is a compact machine made of stainless steel with a manual lid/cover that has a transparent window. It resembles a larger bread making machine and it is sleek and classy enough to coordinate with most kitchen designs. It is easily maintained while in use and can be comfortably put away and stored when not in use. The machine is known for its uniquely large bucket size, its fast ice cycle of approximately 6 minutes and its ability to produce 26 pounds of ice in a day.
This model utilizes a system of automatic control and an innovative microcomputer for simple and almost immediate ice making. An LED digital control panel on the front of the icemaker has soft press buttons for its various selections that include:
- Add Water (warning indicator when more water is required)
- Full Ice (warning indicator when the ice basket is full)
- Selector for Large, Medium and Small Ice
- On/Off button at the bottom
Installation is always a point of contention with an Igloo portable countertop ice maker. Fortunately, installation involves placing the ice maker in a safe and level area away from wet areas and edges of counters and tabletops. The ice maker’s cord plug is three-pronged and requires proper grounding, so the right outlet is essential.
Upon initial use of the ice maker, the unit’s compressor idles for about 3 minutes during its powering up and energizing phase. Once that process has been completed, simply add the water to the reservoir, select the on button and wait for the ice to be made. Safeguards are built in to the ice maker to prevent damage or compensate for any mistakes in adjustment. The system is set to automatically stop if necessary, and the LED indicators on the front panel will send alerts if other problems occur.
Igloo ICE03 Ice Maker Specs
The following section of our Igloo portable countertop ice maker review summarizes the technical specifications of the ICE103 ice maker:
- Dimensions: 14 x 12 x 15 inches/assembled size 15.90 x 13.38 x 16.77 inches
- Weight: 25.9 pounds
- Voltage: 110-115 Volts/60Hz
- Watts: 120
- Amps: 15
- Frequency: 60 Hertz (Hz)
- Certifications: The machine is 1-UL (Underwriter’s Laboratory) listed
- Daily Ice Making Capacity: 26 pounds
- Ice Shape: The larger cubes are tapered and cylindrical in shape, and the other sizes are similar in shape but thicker.
- Installation: Freestanding
- Energy Star Rated: Not listed (probably no)
- Refrigerant Type: R134a/2.25 Oz.
- Operating Cycle: 6-13 minutes for each ice making cycle depending on the cube size selected
- Ice Making Capacity Per Cycle: 2.2 pounds
- Display Type: Digital Electronic Control Panel/LED indicators
- Full Ice Basket Indicator: Yes
- Add Water Indicator: Yes
- Drain Type: Drain plug on the lower left size of the ice maker
- Number of Ice Sizes: 3 (small, medium and large)
- Timer: No
- Self-Cleaning Function: No
- Automatic Overflow Protection: No
- Ice Storage: No
- Removable Ice Bin: Yes
- Reversible Door: No
- Water Capacity: Approximately a gallon
Operating Igloo ICE03 Counter Top Ice Maker
Any Igloo portable countertop ice maker review should discuss how an ice maker can be used both in and outdoors situations with the right kind of electrical connection that adapts to the ice maker’s three pronged cord. It is suited for use in recreational vehicles or in camping situations when there is a generator or other source of electricity available. It is convenient for picnicking, boating, pool parties, carnival food booths, restaurants, food trucks, and almost any indoor or outdoor get-together or special event where a continual flow of ice is needed.
Igloo ICE103 Counter Top Ice Maker Pros and Cons
- Made of durable stainless steel
- Easy to install and use
- Oversized ice bucket when compared to other similar models
- Three cube size selections
- Quickly produces ice in 6-13 minutes
Note: If you are interested in a similar machine with a shorter operating cycle of up to 8 minutes at the same output, look over our review of the Igloo ICE108 compact ice maker.
- Can produce 26 pounds of ice in a day
- Has a storage capacity of 2.2 pounds
- Fairly priced
- Easily stored when not in use
- May be considered heavy in comparison to other portable machines
- No self-cleaning function
- Ice bucket area is not insulated
- No automatic overflow protection
- Lid or door does not automatically close and is not reversible
- Does not have a water filter
What Users Say
Users of the Igloo ICE103 are all pretty much convinced that this machine’s compact design, capacity, the quantity of ice produced and quick production cycles are all a part of what makes this unit a best seller, and any Igloo portable countertop ice maker review usually includes how users feel about the product. Here’s a rundown of the most accurate Igloo countertop ice maker reviews we found online from verified customers:
Those without an ice making capacity with their refrigerators feel that they would be lost without this little ice making wonder.
Others are amazed at the unit’s quick response time and that the ice can fit in almost any size container.
The few complaints lodged by consumers had to do with ice in the bin melting and sticking together. Also of note in the storage process was the fact that the ice clumped together when bagged and stored in a freezer.
Note: The Igloo ICE03 ice maker is also featured on our collection of the best undercounter ice makers and the best portable ice makers on the market – if the ICE103 model isn’t exactly what you were looking for, make sure you check them out!
The Igloo ICE03 Counter Top Ice Maker continues to be a standard for portable ice makers and, in spite of its time in the marketplace, it continues to prove its value and usability. It has shown itself to be one of Igloo’s outstanding products because of its stable and unique features that include consistent product pricing, compact size, ease of use, large bin capacity, the quantity of ice made and short time periods for rapid ice production.
This ice-maker is highly recommended because of its capabilities, and anyone that has an Igloo ICE103 appreciates what it can do because of its size and portability as well as its ability to produce ice cubes of quality and in sufficient quantities in a matter of minutes. Anyone that has had experience with this portable ice maker should feel encouraged to share their views and experiences with this ice maker and add to this igloo portable countertop ice maker review.