An at-home ice machine for your beverages and cuisine needs is a luxury that is easily taken for granted.
That is until your ice maker machine stops working.
Is your ice maker not working? We know the frustrations that come with this common issue – and we’re here to help. Ice makers tend to fail over time, which is a common reality for most refrigerator owners.
That being said, ice makers tend to be simply built, and most function similarly.
Whether your ice maker’s not making ice at an early stage of owning it, or if it’s started malfunctioning over a longer period of time, we have the solution to your ice maker needs.
Before we get into how to help you with common ice maker problems, it’s helpful to know exactly how an ice machine works and what mechanical systems we’re dealing with.
What is an Ice Machine?
- ETL APPROVAL: We go above and beyond to provide the top quality product. This ice maker is ETL certified so you can be...
- HIGH EFFICIENCY: Built with an intuitive and easy to use control panel that has an LCD indicator for displaying water...
- COMPACT DESIGN: Built-in or freestanding application. Fulfills commercial ice-making needs, great for home, restaurant,...
Is your ice maker not making ice?
It’s hard to consider it an ice machine if so!
When working properly, an ice machine receives water through a ¼ inch water pump line which goes from the refrigerator to the water pipe (otherwise known as a filter).
This water line runs to the water fill valve which is located in the refrigerator and functions by an icemaker thermostat.
This fill valve then sends the water to a fill tube which is in an ice maker assembly area, including an ice molder. This is the place where the water is able to freeze and form into shape.
Reasons for Ice Maker Problems
- Brand New - Unused Parts
- Fit and Function Guarantee
- 30-Day Money Back
There are a number of reasons for ice maker malfunction. We have listed a few of them here.
It should also be noted that ice makers experience issues quite frequently, however, due to their simple structure, as mentioned above, they are easy to fix at home.
Before you call up a technician or spend money on a new ice machine maker, we recommend trying a few of these methods based on your specific situation:
Ice is not Dispensing
When you open up your ice machine, if you find ice inside the molds, that’s a clear indication that the machine is gathering water. This means you can rule out any issues with the water supply.
If it’s not a water supply issue, the problem is probably either mechanical or electrical.
This usually happens when items are moved around within the freezer and the control arm is accidentally nudged into the off position. This disables ice production.
In order to fix this issue, you can simply find the control arm (which is typically metal) and move it into the downwards – or on – position.
If you see that the control arm is in the on position and the ice mold contains ice, then the issue is probably within the gearbox, motor or it’s an electrical connection issue.
In order to fix this, double check that all of the electrical connections are seated properly.
To do this, pull the refrigerator away from the wall, knock off the water supply and then disconnect it from any power sources. Then, unplug the connection to the quick release plug at the back of the wall within the freezer. Re-plug the connection to ensure it’s completely connected.
Remove any ice remaining in the mold by melting it with water.
Plug the refrigerator back into the power source then restart the control arm – off and then on again.
You should wait for about three or four hours to let the ice freeze in order to see whether or not ice ejects from the refrigerator dispenser.
If the ice is not dispensing, you will probably need to buy a new gearbox or motor.
Ice Machine is not Making Ice
- Costzon commercial ice maker will bring you convenience and efficiency on ice making. Constructed by stainless steel, it...
- EFFICIENT PRODUCTION - With high ice making power, it has high efficiency of creating ice cube at production of 110 lbs...
- EASY OPERATION - Operation panel with ADD WATER, TIMER, ICE, CLEAN, TIMER CLEAN, etc. buttons will help you control the...
When your ice machine stops making ice altogether or if it is making smaller cubes, the issue is usually due to a clog.
If your ice maker isn’t producing ice at all or is producing crescents or cubes that are smaller than usual, it’s typically indicative of a clog somewhere along the supply line.
To fix this issue, pull out the refrigerator and then unplug it. Find the shut-off valve and turn it off. This valve is usually under the sink or at the back of the fridge.
Take a turkey baster or something similar and fill it with warm water. Pour the warm water over top of the frozen water line. You could also use a hair dryer to defrost the water line. Turn on the refrigerator back on.
If the color of the clog isn’t translucent, call a professional to help remove the clog from within.
Is Your Ice Machine Not Making Ice: Final Notes
- SIMPLE NON-STICK DESIGN - Unlike stiff plastic ice cube trays, our flexible ice trays are made of durable silicone....
- SQUARE ICE CUBES - Our jumbo square molds creates 6 giant cubes at 2 inches each. More than a novelty, big ice slowly...
- SPHERICAL ICE BALL MOLD - Better than other round ice makers with 4 slots, our ice molds create 6 ice balls or spheres....
If your ice machine isn’t making ice, there are a lot of DIY methods you can choose from to fix your ice machine at home. Save some money and get crafty!
Feature image via Today I Found Out