The Koldfront ice maker is marketed to produce ice in under 10 minutes. Its portability, ease-of-use, and compact structure are just some of the characteristics that attract most customers. This review provides information on its specs, pros and cons, operation, and overall quality of this ice maker. We will also go through some verified online customer reviews to provide unbiased info regarding this product.
Koldfront Ice Maker Description
The Koldfront ice maker can produce ice in as little as 10 minutes using tap or bottled water and has 2 ice cube sizes to choose from. The machine can hold up to 1.5 lbs. of ice at a time and has a daily output of 26 lbs. Its compact size makes it perfect for countertops in homes, RVs, boats, cabins, or anywhere else.
It’s important to note this ice maker does not have a freezing function. Nevertheless, the storage bin is well-insulated and has an innovative water-use design that allows users to recycle water from the bottom of the bin and use it to produce more ice. The ideal water temperature for this ice maker is between 51F and 90F.
According to online reviews, the ice bullets produced by this ice maker are hollow, no larger than ¾ of an inch, and do not last very long. Some users noticed a possible design flaw: the ice is stored directly above the water level compartment, which makes the cubes melt faster and become watery.
With a touch-sensitive control panel and on/off switch, this ice maker is easy to use – but we’ll get to that in a moment. For now, let’s review its technical specs:
Koldfront Ice Maker Specs
- Dimensions: 12.9 x 9.5 x 14.1 inches
- Weight: 20.3 lbs.
- Voltage: 115 V
- Watts: 230 W
- Amps: 1.7A for ice making, 2.1A for ice harvesting
- Frequency: 60 Hz
- Daily Ice Making Capacity: 26 lbs.
- Ice Shape: bullet
- Installation: freestanding
- Energy Star Rated:
- Refrigerant Type: R-134A
- Operating Cycle: 6 minutes
- Ice Making Capacity Per Cycle: 1.5 lbs.
- Display Type: LED
- Full Ice Basket Indicator: YES
- Add Water Indicator: yes
- Drain Type: bottom-mounted
- Number of Ice Sizes: 2
- Timer: no
- Self-Cleaning Function: no
- Automatic Overflow Protection: yes
- Ice Storage: yes
- Removable Ice Bin: yes
- Reversible Door: no
- Water Capacity: N/A
Operating the Koldfront Ice Maker
The Koldfront ice maker is extremely easy to use and requires basically no installation – you just need to take it out of the box, thoroughly clean it, place it on a flat and stable surface, and plug it in. Then, fill the water reservoir, power the unit on, and select the cube size you want. This makes it ideal for RVs, boats, or small offices and kitchens.
Whenever the ice maker reaches the 1.5 lbs. limit, you can scoop the ice out with the included scooper and fill the basket for your home freezer. The ice maker will continue to produce more ice and indicate when more water needs to be added. Although the machine makes its first batch of ice in a little over 5 minutes, it is important to note that the full 1.5 lbs. bin capacity may take over one hour to fill.
Apart from the ice cubes falling in the bin, this machine produces no noticeable sound.
Koldfront Ice Maker – Pros and Cons
The Koldfront ice maker has both positive and negative characteristics. These factors will be highlighted below.
- Extremely lightweight and easy to move.
- Compact and fits virtually anywhere.
- Well-insulated ice bin.
- Can produce ice very quickly.
- Easy to use, with a straightforward operating panel.
- The ice basket can be emptied without shutting the machine.
- Extremely quiet.
- According to online reviews, this ice maker has a lifespan of about a year and a half.
- A very good quality/price ratio overall.
- Requires an outlet for use, cannot be operated with batteries.
- Small storage capacity.
- Does not have a self-closing door.
- Ice melts quickly because of the aforementioned design flaw and because of their shape.
- Ice bullets stick to each other once placed in the freezer.
- The “full” sensor can sometimes malfunction.
- The warranty period is only 90 days.
- Some users noticed it gets significantly louder after a few weeks or months of use.
- It generates a lot of heat while working.
- For continuous use, you need to refill the water tank every time you take out ice so the machine does not run empty.
What Users Say
One verified customer says that this ice maker was perfect for her needs. This user purchased the Koldfront ice maker for their RV and found that it was a great asset and extremely efficient. This user found that using cold water speeds up the ice production. The only downside of this ice maker is that it generate a lot of heat during use and the ice cubes are quite small. Overall, she is very satisfied with the Koldfront portable ice maker due to its ease-of-use and low cost.
Another user found the Koldfront ice maker to be extremely cool, no pun intended. The user was pleased that the ice maker produced 9 cubes every 6-minutes. They are extremely happy with how quiet the unit is and report only hearing the machine make any noise when the ice falls into the basket. This customer chose the ice maker based on its size as it was much smaller and less expensive than other brands.
Another satisfied customer reports that she has had her ice maker for close to six months and she is happy with the little ice pellets it produces. She reports that the machine does make some noise, but she is used to it and it does not bother her. This individual is very pleased with the unit and is happy to have a constant supply of ice on hand without having to use space in the freezer. This individual is especially happy that the unit reuses water that melts within the unit and likes having the machine in general.
Overall, the Koldfront ice maker is an inexpensive and reliable ice maker that has been on the market for close to 10 years. While it is far from flawless, this ice maker still has an impressive quality/price ratio. The color limitation is a bit disappointing as it only comes in white, but it can easily fit into any space without standing out too much. Due to the specifications we mentioned above, the satisfactory reports from hundreds of customers, and the general reliability of the ice output, this product is an excellent choice for RVs or small kitchens.