A popular ice maker option for home comes from KoldFront brand. The Koldfront ice maker is an ice maker that is marketed to produce ice in under 10 minutes. This product has numerous qualities and characteristics that cause it to rank highly among several other options. The portability, ease-of-use, and compact structure are just some of the characteristics that attract most customers. Here I will provide an unbiased review of the Koldfront portable ice maker so you can determine if this product is the right option for you.
Koldfront Ice Maker Product Description
The Koldfront ice maker can produce ice in as little as 10-minutes using tap or bottled water. This ice maker can produce up to 26 Lbs of ice each day and has two different size ice cubes to choose from. the Koldfront portable ice maker can hold up to 1.5 Lbs of ice at a time and will stop producing ice once the weight limit is reached. The small size makes it perfect for countertops in homes, RVs, boats, cabins, or anywhere else.
This ice maker is easy-to-use with a touch-sensitive control panel and on/off switch. The storage bin is well-insulated; however, it is recommended that ice is not stored in the bin for long periods. The bin itself has an innovative water-use design that allows users to recycle water from the bottom of the bin and use it to produce more ice.
- This ice maker weighs 28.2 LBs
- Brand: Koldfront
- Model: KIM202W
- ASIN: B013XXTFKG
- The Koldfront ice maker measures 16.5-inches x 16-inches x 13.5-inches
- First introduced in 2008
- produces ice in under ten minutes
- Produces small or medium ice sizes
- Can produce 26 LBs of ice per day
- 1.5 LB ice storage capacity bin
- Innovative water-use recycling system
- Uses tap or bottled water
- 115 V/60 Hz Input voltage
- 2.1A Ice harvesting current
- 1.7A ice maker current
- 230 W power system
How to Use
The Koldfront ice maker is extremely easy to use. Simply take the ice maker out of the box and place it on a flat surface. You will then fill the water reservoir with either tap or bottled water, and power the unit on with the “On/Off” switch. Select the ice size, and the ice will begin forming in as little as ten minutes.
Whenever the ice maker reaches the 1.5 Lb limit, you can scoop the ice out with the included scooper and fill the basket for your home freezer. The ice maker will continue to produce more ice and indicate when more water needs to be added. Although the machine makes its first batch of ice in less than 10-minutes, it is important to note that the full 1.5 Lb bin capacity may take over 1-hour to be reached.
Pros and Cons
The Koldfront ice maker has both positive and negative characteristics. These factors will be highlighted below.
- This ice maker is extremely lightweight and easy to move
- This machine is very compact and fits virtually anywhere
- This ice maker can be used anywhere with an electrical connection
- The ice bin is well-insulated
- Produces ice very quickly
- The menu is straightforward and easy-to-use
- The ice basket can be emptied without shutting the machine
- This icemaker reuses melted water and makes it into new ice
- This machine cannot be battery operated and requires an outlet for use
- The machine is white, which may not blend well in some kitchens with other appliance
- The machine does not have an “easy drain” hole to let water out for cleaning
- Produces only a few ice cubes at a time
- Small storage capacity at around 1 QT of ice
- Ice melts quickly
- Ice freezes to each other once placed in the freezer
- The “full” sensor can indicate it is full when it is not actually full
What Other Users Say About the Koldfront Ice Maker
One verified customer says that this ice maker was perfect for her needs. This user purchased the Koldfront ice maker for their RV and found that it was a great asset and extremely efficient. This user found that using cold water speeds up the ice production. The only downside of this ice maker is that it generate a lot of heat during use and the ice cubes are quite small. Overall, she is very satisfied with the Koldfront portable ice maker due to its ease-of-use and inexpensive cost.
Another user found the Koldfront ice maker to be extremely cool, no pun intended. The user was pleased that the ice maker produced 9 cubes every 6-minutes. They are extremely happy with how quiet the unit is and report only hearing the machine make any noise when the ice falls into the basket. This particular individual chose the ice maker based on its size as it was much smaller and less expensive than other brands.
Another satisfied customer reports that she has had her ice maker for close to six months and she is happy with the little ice pellets it produces. She reports that the machine does make some noise, but she is used to it and it does not bother her. This individual is very pleased with the unit and is happy to have a constant supply of ice on hand without having to use space in the freezer. This individual is especially happy that the unit reuses water that melts within the unit and likes having the machine in general.
Overall, the Koldfront ice maker is a popular option that has been used proudly by customers for close to 10 years. The color limitation is a bit disappointing, but the white option can easily fit into any space without standing out. Due to the heightened popularity, the satisfactory reports from hundreds of customers, and the general reliability of the ice output, this product is an excellent choice.