Unlike most ice makers on the market today, this product from Luma Comfort IM200SS makes crystal clear ice cubes that are great for professional events or casual get-togethers. Our review of the Luma Comfort IM200SS will go through the overall description of the product, its technical details, usability and operation, and its pros and cons. We will also provide our verdict on this ice machine at the end of this article.
Luma Comfort IM200SS Portable Ice Maker Description
This ice maker features a durable and sleek stainless steel body that fits perfectly on a kitchen or restaurant countertop. While most other ice makers produce cloudy ice bullets, the Luma Comfort IM200SS produces crystal clear ice cubes, which is its biggest strength. Even though it is not refrigerated and lacks a drain, this also means it’s as lightweight as an ice maker can be, and highly portable; it only needs an AV outlet and water. The following sections provide more details on the Luma Comfort IM200SS ice maker.
Luma Comfort IM200SS Portable Ice Maker Specs
- Dimensions: 11.13″ x 14.25″ x 13.88″
- Weight: 3 lbs.
- Voltage: 115
- Watts: 130
- Daily Ice Making Capacity: 28 pounds
- Ice Shape: Cubes
- Installation: Freestanding
- Energy Star Rated: No
- Refrigerant Type: R-134A
- Operating Cycle: 15 minutes
- Display Type: LED
- Full Ice Basket Indicator: Yes
- Add Water Indicator: Yes
- Drain Type: Rear plug
- Number of Ice Sizes: 1
- Timer: No
- Self-Cleaning Function: No
- Automatic Overflow Protection: No
- Ice Storage: Yes
- Water Capacity: 74 ounces
Operating the Luma Comfort IM200SS Portable Clear Ice Maker
This ice maker is powered through any AV outlet. Once plugged in, the machine can be filled with water and then turned on immediately by pressing the single on/off button on the lid. In just a few minutes, the cooling fan will kick in and the machine will start producing ice cubes. You should not lift the ice maker’s lid while it is filling the chamber. Instead, wait for the machine to stop operating.
A small indicator light on the ice maker’s lid will turn on once the ice tray is completely full. At this point, you can either use the ice immediately or transfer it to your freezer to begin making more. Once empty, the ice tray will begin filling with ice once again. If the ice maker runs low on water, another indicator light will turn on to let you know to fill the reservoir.
If you do not remove the finished ice from the machine, it will begin to melt, as the machine itself is not refrigerated. Any melted ice is simply drawn back into the water reservoir and can be refrozen.
Luma Comfort IM200SS Portable Clear Ice Maker Pros and Cons
Here’s a rundown of this machine’s strongest and weakest traits:
- This Luma ice maker is able to produce clear ice cubes which melt up to five times slower than cloudy and airy ice cubes and look better.
- The clear ice maker has a highly effective, yet silent cooling fan.
- The machine features stainless steel housing which is more durable, better looking, and easier to clean than other materials.
- It’s very intuitive and easy to operate, and the indicator lights will notify you when the water reservoir needs to be filled or the ice tray has reached maximum capacity.
- The machine is compact, lightweight, and portable.
- Most ice makers feature a small window on top that allows you to watch the ice-making process, but this model doesn’t come with one.
- This ice maker doesn’t come with an additional ice scoop, so it can be challenging to transfer ice directly into beverages.
- The IM200SS by Luma is not refrigerated, therefore ice cubes that are not removed immediately will soon melt down and pass through the process again.
- It doesn’t have a self-cleaning function and the filters it comes with allow anything smaller than a grain of rice pass right through.
What Users Say about the Luma Comfort IM200SS Portable Ice Maker
Many users find that this product is great in a professional environment. The clear ice, quiet operation, and sleek counter-top design allow this ice maker to fit right into a restaurant and a home setting.
Umberto DeBiddeoguy says that they absolutely love using this ice maker because it produces crystal clear ice cubes. They also mentioned they tweaked the system a bit to allow draining, but this is not advised by the manufacturer. Even so, the user admits you would normally need to spend over $1,000 to get a similar system for your home, so they’re very happy with the product.
Other users rave about Luma Comfort IM200SS ice maker’s stainless steel housing. Not only does it look great, but it comes with other benefits as well. Stainless steel is easier to clean and resistant to scratches and scuffing. User willkii, however, was not happy about the lack of a self-cleaning function and, when taking the device apart, noticed the recommended cleaning process is not enough to get rid of the slime that builds up over time.
J. Jones notes they are very happy with the product and have not encountered any of the issues mentioned by other reviewers. This user also recommends cleaning the unit with bleach water and thoroughly rinsing it out afterwards, plus other helpful maintenance tips like dusting off the condenser coils when ice gets thin.
We recommend the Luma Comfort IM200SS Portable Clear Ice Maker to anyone who wants an affordable clear ice maker. Even though it does have its drawbacks, like the lack of a self-cleaning function or reliable filters, we consider its benefits outweigh them. If you own a small restaurant, or if you simply want professional-quality ice in your own home, you should at least consider the Luma Comfort IM200SS Portable Clear Ice Maker for your needs. Please share with us your experiences with this ice machine and feel free to ask any questions you have about the product.