This article is intended to assist the consumer in reaching a decision regarding the Maxx ice maker. The following material describes the functionality and unique features of one particular machine, the Maxx MIM250 Ice Maker. We will go through features such as the automatic shut off, bin capacity, the speed of freeze cycle, and user controls, as well as its effectiveness and eco-friendliness.
Maxx MIM250 Ice Maker Description
The Maxx ice maker is a convenient, easy, and self-contained automatic ice machine that can serve the needs of small businesses, hotels, homes and community centers. It produces up to 250 pounds of ice cubes per day using vertical evaporation technology and an air-cooled compressor. The slab-style ice cubes are contained in an easy-to-access 75 pound insulated storage bin. When the bin has reached capacity, this ice machine automatically halts production to prevent overflow.
The user settings and automatic cleaning cycle are programmable via a hidden digital control system. The stainless steel design is not only durable but also easy to clean, requires very little maintenance and looks sharp. The unit is extremely versatile, accommodating a range of freestanding or built-in installment options. It can fit under a countertop and comes with stability brackets for permanent, worry-free fixture. It can function either indoors or in a sheltered location outdoors. The legs are easily adjustable from 4.7 inches to 7 inches to help keep the unit level.
The Maxx MIM250 ice maker is compatible with a standard household electrical current. The Maxx Ice machine is approved by 3rd parties (NSF and UL) for commercial use. This ice maker conveniently comes with an ice scoop, but the user needs to purchase an additional drain and water filter. Installation to water supply requires a plumber.
Maxx MIM250 Ice Maker – Specs
- Model: MIM250
- Width: 24 inches
- Depth: 24 inches
- Height: 29 – 39 inches
- Weight: 144 pounds
- Color: Stainless Steel
- Manufacturer: Asbury Foodservice – In Network
- ASIN: B0069ZU1WC
- Ice Production: 250 pounds per day
- Storage Capacity: 75 pounds
- Ice Cube Dimensions: 1 x 1 x 0.75 inches
- Drain required: Yes
- Features: Automatic Ice Level Control/Shutoff, Clean Cycle, Hidden Controls
- Pieces Included: Ice Scoop
- Installation Type: Built-In or Freestanding
- Electrical input: 115 VAC ~ 60Hz
- Power consumption: 9.4 kW·h / 100 pounds of ice
- Ice-making / Ice-harvest rated current: 9.2A / 12A
- Refrigerant: R404a, 22.9 oz.
- High / Low side pressure: 350psig / 190psig
- Ambient temperature range for best operation: 50°F – 100°F
- Optimum temperature range for feed water: 41°F – 90°F
- Certifications and Listings: 1-UL Listed, NSF Standard 12 Certified
- Manufacturer Warranty: 1 Year Limited Warranty
Operating Maxx MIM250 Ice Maker
For optimal use and highest yields, follow simple guidelines when operating the Maxx Ice Maker. Whether using the machine for household or commercial applications, it’s important to keep the unit well ventilated, unobstructed and absolutely level. If not level, water will not flow correctly, the production will be lower and the machine may make abnormal noises. Take into consideration that the Maxx ice machine functions best with ambient temperatures between 50 to 100 degrees, so avoid placing the unit near grills, fireplaces or other sources of intense heat.
Avoid outdoor locations exposed to rain and wind. Use a water filter to avoid ice tainted with impurities or particles that can affect taste, odor and the aesthetic appearance of cubes. To use the machine, turn on the water tap, then switch power to ON. Water will flow into the tank and the machine will proceed to the freeze cycle in which the compressor pumps refrigerant and water circulates through the system. When ice production is complete, the machine will switch to the harvest cycle, in which the cubes slide into the storage bin. The cycles will automatically restart when ice is removed from the bin.
Maxx MIM250 Ice Maker – Pros and Cons
- Extremely fast ice production
- Perfect size for a small business, hotel or home
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Aesthetically pleasing stainless steel finish
- Suitable for indoor or outdoor use
- Legs easily adjust to compensate for uneven flooring
- Automatic idle when bin is full
- Compatible with standard household electrical current
- Comes with limited 1-year warranty
- Need to obtain extra pump if drain flows to a higher site against gravity
- Requires a plumber to install
- Requires additional purchase of drain and filter
- Door to storage bin could be more insulated
- Drips are common
- No option to adjust hardness of ice
- Cubes only available in one size and shape
What Users Say
People who have purchased the Maxx Ice maker have made many positive comments about this product. (Read reviews here.) One user noted that the product must be kept well ventilated, as normal operation produces excess heat. An ice maker that generates excess heat could negatively affect the output of ice production, so follow all instructions regarding appropriate ventilation requirements.
Another user noticed that cool air was leaking from the door, possibly signaling a malfunctioning gasket. It is very important for the ice bin to be well insulated, to conserve energy and to keep the efficiency of the machine at optimal levels.
A few individuals noticed that excess water sometimes dripped into the storage bin, but this did not seriously impede production.
The most common observation regarding this product is how fast it produces ice. For some users, the bin capacity is a little underwhelming, however, the quick production of new cubes (a complete batch can be made in as little as 15 minutes) makes up for this minor complaint.
The Maxx MIM250 Ice machine stands out as a high quality, reliable product. Its best feature is the high speed with which it completes a freeze cycle. In addition, the operation of the machine is simple and easy. The unit is constructed of durable, high-quality materials and promises to last a long time. Overall, this unit demonstrates a nice balance between compact design and high-yielding production.
If you have used this ice maker or have contributed to other Maxx ice maker reviews, please feel free to share your experiences, thoughts, and questions.