The NewAir AI 100R portable ice maker is one of the most popular ice makers available on the market. The stylish and compact design with LED displays and the ability to produce ice in 6 minutes are just some of the features users appreciate. This article will provide an unbiased review on this product so you can decide whether this ice maker suits your needs.
The NewAir AI 100r portable ice maker can produce up to 28 pounds of ice each day and is designed for RVs, boats, or small kitchen spaces. This ice maker can produce its first batch in as little as 15 minutes with no extensive set-up. It comes with a LED control panel that is easy to use and boasts three different ice size settings.
This ice maker operates under fast freezing cycles of 6 to 15 minutes and has electronic controls and indicator lights that notify users when more water is needed or when the ice is ready. It’s one of the environmentally-friendly ice makers as it uses R-134A as a refrigerant, thus preventing ozone layer damage.
The NewAir AI 100r portable ice maker comes in 5 color choices and has a sleek and compact appearance, making it fit for any interior.
NewAir AI 100r Portable Ice Maker Specs
- Dimensions: 14.50″L x 11.75″W x 15.00″H
- Weight: 24.30 lbs.
- Voltage: 115 volts
- Watts: 120
- Amps: 1.9 amps
- Frequency: 60 Hz
- Certifications: ETL
- Daily Ice Making Capacity: 28 pounds
- Ice Shape: Bullet
- Installation: Freestanding
- Energy Star Rated: No
- Refrigerant Type: R-134A
- Operating Cycle: 6 minutes
- Ice Making Capacity Per Cycle: 9 pieces
- Display Type: LED
- Full Ice Basket Indicator: Yes
- Add Water Indicator: Yes
- Drain Type: Side-mounted
- Number of Ice Sizes: 3
- Timer: no
- Self-Cleaning Function: No
- Automatic Overflow Protection: Yes
- Ice Storage: Yes
- Removable Ice Bin: Yes
- Reversible Door: No
- Water Capacity: 176 ounces
Operating the NewAir AI 100r Portable Ice Maker
Note: It’s best to let HVAC units or appliances using refrigerant and oil rest upright for about a day before turning them on to allow fluids to set.
The NewAir AI100R portable ice maker requires no installation; just place it on a flat surface, plug it in, and press the power button. Then, fill the water reservoir and select the ice size by clicking the “Select” button until the desired ice size is lit with the red light. The ice maker will begin making ice immediately and can fill up its container in about an hour.
The red light will indicate when you need to add water to continue making ice. Once you have made the desired amount of ice, leave it in the maker or place the ice inside your freezer. If you are going to turn the ice maker off, you should remove all the ice before doing so. To drain the water tank, simply remove the plug and wait for the water to leak out.
Pros and Cons
The NewAir AI 100r portable ice maker contains both positive and negative attributes that are highlighted below.
- No installation required.
- Ice does not jam the machine.
- Ample storage, despite the compact design.
- Very quiet (but not silent).
- Easy to use and clean.
- Starts producing ice very quickly.
- Has multiple color options to fit any interior and taste.
- Reliable and long-lasting.
- The design of the ice cubes it produces ensures maximum ice surface area.
- Produces wet ice, not hard-frozen ice, which doesn’t last as long.
- The cubes in the first batch seem to stick to each other.
- The empty water tank light turns on even with water still left in the tank.
- Although well insulated, it’s not a freezer, so any ice left in the container will eventually melt.
- Shuts off after producing half a gallon of ice (the ice drop is too close to the full tank sensor).
- The water pump can malfunction if the water levels are kept low too often while functioning.
What Other Users Say About the NewAir AI 100r Portable Ice Maker
This individual found that this ice maker is reliable, but quite heavy for a portable ice maker, especially when loaded. This individual found that the ice melts quickly and fills the bottom of the icemaker storage. Nevertheless, the added water can be easily drained and the ice cubes can be broken off.
Another owner found that this ice maker is perfect for them as they live in an older home and do not have a hookup in their refrigerator for a built-in ice maker. The insulation keeps the ice at a temperature close to that of a regular cooler. The ice does melt after a while, and the water collects at the bottom of the storage; however, the water itself can freeze and be used as ice as well, which they found especially helpful. Overall, this individual found the ice maker to be a lifesaving appliance that eliminated the constant need to fill and change ice trays.
Another verified customer found that this ice maker is perfect for use in Recreational Vehicles. This user experienced some problems after two months but could repair it quickly and easily and get back to making ice. This user found that the ice maker is the perfect size to store in motorhomes and comes at the right price. They also added this ice maker is well built and has high-quality parts.
Overall, the NewAir AI 100r portable ice maker is a great choice for an icemaker. The compact design and rapidly produced ice lead to thousands of customers being extremely satisfied with the quality and production of this ice maker. With a little care and consideration for the aspects mentioned in the Cons section, this ice maker will last for years. Are you one of the happy customers who still use the AI 100R?