The Newair AI-215SS Stainless Steel Portable Ice Maker is the perfect ice maker for use in a home bar or office kitchen. For parties, on an RV, or while boating. All you need is a standard an 115V outlet to plug it into and some water. This appliance takes up very little room and is easy to transport. This little powerhouse can make up to 50 pounds of ice daily. The AI-215SS comes in stainless steel and black. Let’s review this product’s specifications and warranty, price, and what reviewers who have purchased this item say about it.
Newair AI-215SS Stainless Steel Portable Ice Maker Description
This Newair portable ice maker produces up to 50 pounds of ice in one day, making 12 cubes in as little as 7 minutes. It can make bullet shaped ice in three different sizes. The reservoir holds 192 ounces of water. The unit runs on a standard 3-prong wall outlet, requiring 115V and 2.1 Amps of electrical supply. This is easy to operate using the touch buttons on the front of the appliance. Other features include an 18-hour timer, a self-cleaning function, and a side mounted drain.
The Newair has an LCD light display that lets you know when you need to add water and when the ice storage bin is full. The removable interior ice bin and the scoop are plastic. The overall dimensions are approximately 14” L x 17” W x 17” H. It weighs approximately 37.60 pounds. This is perfectly compact for traveling with.
The Newair is CE and ETL certified. It features automatic overflow protection and an automatic shut-off for safety. The AI-215SS uses R-134A refrigerant, which prevents damage to the ozone layer. It comes with a user’s manual and a 1-year limited warranty.
Newair AI-215SS Stainless Steel Portable Ice Maker Specifications
- Stainless steel and black
- Makes up to 50 lbs. of ice daily, 12 cubes in as little as 7 minutes
- 3 Sizes of cubes available
- Water reservoir capacity of 192 ounces
- Push-button control
- LCD display indicates when basket is full and when to add water
- Steel and plastic construction
- Measures approximately 14” L x 17” W x 17” H
- Weighs approximately 37.60 pounds
- Side mounted drain
- 18-hour timer
- Self-cleaning function
- Automatic shut-off safety feature
- Automatic overflow protection
- Ice storage bucket and scoop included
- Plugs into standard 115V electrical outlet
- CE and ETL Certified
- R-134a refrigerant type
- 1 year limited warranty
Operating the Newair AI-215SS Stainless Steel Portable Ice Maker
This portable ice maker is designed to be used indoors or under protective cover. All you need is a standard power source nearby and some water. You plug it in, fill the reservoir with water, and turn it on to start making ice. This does not serve as a freezer to keep the ice cold. The ice will eventually melt in the storage bin. If you need larger quantities of ice, it is suggested that you make extra and store it in your freezer or a cooler so that you have enough on hand. This is ideal for warm weather events or for use at indoor parties any time of year. It is also great for use on an RV or boat.
Newair AI-215SS Stainless Steel Portable Ice Maker Pros and Cons
- Attractive design
- Quiet and speedy operation
- Easy push button operation
- Makes 12 cubes every 7 minutes in 3 sizes, up to 50 lbs. per day
- Door shuts securely
- Side drain and self-cleaning function are a plus
- Automatic overflow protection and automatic shut-off are great safety features
- Timer is useful
- LCD display is easy to read
- Uses 115V power via a standard electrical outlet
- Removable ice bin
- Ice scoop included
- Compact for easy transport
- Easy to clean
- Made of non-rusting materials
- Replacement parts are available
- 1 year limited warranty
- Slightly heavier than comparable ice makers
- Not recommended for outdoor use
- Does not meet the capacity of ice needed for large events
- Ice storage area does not act as a freezer
- More expensive than the 28-pound capacity models at approximately $280 MSRP
- Not an Energy Star rated appliance
- Instructions are a little cumbersome to understand
What Users Say
A reviewer on Amazon bought this ice maker to supplement the small output of his freezer’s ice making capacity for his family. He found the unit speedier, with a larger output than the 28-pound capacity units. He likes that it is portable and has a drain for sanitary reasons. It does not draw much power, making it efficient. He also liked the automatic shut-off feature.
Another reviewer found the output and performance to be great. The only complaint was that it lasted just one year. However, she did say that this appears to be the norm for portable ice makers that get adequate use.
One reviewer stated that the manufacturer did not stand by the warranty when the unit stopped working after only 30 days. The manufacturer did not replace the ice maker, according to the reviewer.
The Newair AI-215SS Stainless Steel Portable Ice Maker appears to perform well and to do all that the manufacturer claims it will do. It makes a larger quantity of ice in a shorter period of time than the 28-pound models, while still being portable.
The safety features and timer are nice additions. Like any portable ice maker, this isn’t going to make all the ice needed for a large party. It is perfect for smaller events, taking on an RV or boat, and supplementing your freezer’s ice making output.
We would love to hear about your experiences with the Newair AI-215SS Stainless Steel Portable Ice Maker. Please feel free to leave feedback or to ask us any questions.